Wednesday 22 June 2011

18th century mourning clothes


I have been thinking a lot of 18th century mourning clothes lately. If the Victorians practically reveled in it, mourning in the 18th century was a bit more restricted. It was something mainly for royalty and the upper classes, though by the end of the century it had started to seep down into the middle classes. Mourning clothes could be black, grey or white in material with a dull luster. Depending on the degree of mourning no jewelry, or very little of it, were worn.


1701


1759


1766


1772


1793


1794






Mourning ring


More information and pictures can be found at Art of Mourning and Noire Gloire

4 comments:

Rowenna said...

I find mourning traditions so interesting! Have been looking into the origins of the black armband recently :)

Cassidy said...

Off topic, but: it's so ingrained in me that nice girls are supposed to sit with their legs together that I always find it so interesting when a painting shows a woman sitting with her legs splayed out a bit as in the 1766 portrait.

Madame Berg said...

Very interesting stuff. I love black clothes as well as the morbid side of life. I've heard that Swedish noblewomen had a specific mourning suit. With an apron? Do you know more?

Isis said...

Rowenna: When did that custom strat? I was thinking about that when I wrote this post.

Mimic. Yes, it does look a bit odd, but she is the Danish queen, so I suppose an epitome of female grace. :) I wonder when women strated to be taught to keep their legs together. When skirts become short, or with the prudish Victorians.

Madame Berg: That rings a bell, but very faintly. Sorry, I can't add any information, but it piques my insterest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...